I've been having a hard time deciding what to work on lately. You see, I have a very bad case of CADD (Costumer's ADD). I dont have any pressing deadlines so I have to motivation to stick with one project. Its a weakness, I know. With that in mind, I started my latest finished project on a whim one day last week. I suddenly had a strong urge to make a fancy 18th century short cloak. I wanted something that would be nice for spring or fall. A quick rummage through my stash and this is what I came up with:
The cloak is two layers of teal silk taffeta, trimmed with self-fabric box pleats and pleats of cream taffeta-satin. (I swear, its the neatest fabric ever!) The cape ties with a pink silk ribbon. Up next I plan to make some matching mitts from the cream silk. I dont know when I will have a chance to wear this since all my 18th century events are in the summer, but I'm sure I'll find something.
I used the pattern on Costume Close-Up
as a guide:
And for the trimming I was inspired by these images in Eighteenth-Century French Fashions
Posted: 10/20/2011 2:44:34 PM
| with comments