My Blog » The Finished Titanic Dinner Dress

The Finished Titanic Dinner Dress

My Titanic dinner gown is finished! 



As you can tell, I really simplified my original design. I didn’t even use the chiffon or velvet I bought for the dress. After I had completed the printed underdress and solid over dress, adding the other fabrics just looked cluttered and I felt really detracted from the design. The printed charmeuse is so beautiful, that I really want to emphasize not overpower it. I thought about using other fabrics from the stash for the sash, but in the end, the only one that felt right was to use the same crepe. It’s boring, but aesthetically it’s more me, and if I’m not designing and making costumes form myself, what am I doing? As much as I love the layers of trim and fabrics from this period, I’m drawn to more simplistic designs when I’m actually making and wearing historical clothing. Just call me “artistic.” ;)

First, I basted the pleats on the bodice and skirt by hand. I assembled the bodice and skirt separately using French seams, and then I hemmed all the edges by hand using a rolled hem. Once the pieces were hemmed, I attached them at the waist with another French seam. The over dress is tacked to the underdress at the shoulders and closes with a snap at the side front.





The sash is simply a piece of crepe interlined with cotton lawn for stability. Each end was gathered and then the top edge of the sash was slip stitched to the waist seam of the over dress. The sash closes on the side and the tension keeps the folds in place.
 

 

For accessories I will be wearing a vintage black glass necklace, vintage haircomb with blue and green rhinestones, and cream opera length gloves.







Posted: 3/18/2012 5:14:42 PM by Aubry | with comments
 
blog comments powered by Disqus

Project Details

Titanic Dinner Gown

Instagram

Pinterest


Syndication

RSS